Kitchen countertops are a crucial surface for all food preparation, that takes place in any home, hence they should be durable and beautiful, yet economical. When it comes to choosing the right material for kitchen countertops, we all tend to get a little confused. It is because there are lots of options available in the market for kitchen countertops.
We at HCD DREAM Interior Solutions have come up with a list of the top 10 materials for your kitchen countertops along with their pros and cons so that you can make the right choice while remodeling your kitchen.
Granite Kitchen Countertops
Granite is most commonly used for kitchen countertops. It adds elegance to space and thus enhances the overall beauty.
Pros Of Granite Countertops
- Heat Resistant
- Available in more than 1000+ colors
- Lasts for a lifetime
- Adds to the value of a home.
Cons Of Granite Countertops
- Little expensive, yet affordable
- Requires maintenance to a little extent
- Absorbs stains if not sealed properly
- Tend to crack if not correctly installed.
Engineered Stone Kitchen Countertops
This kitchen countertop material is commonly called quartz. Unlike other countertop materials that are cut out of naturally found stones, this is composed of quartz crystals that are held together with a resin binder. Quartz countertop gives a similar look to that natural stone but offers more advantages as compared to other countertops.
Pros Of Quartz Countertops
- Stain Resistant
- Easy to maintain
- Does not easily cracks
- No annual sealing is required
- Available in a beautiful array of colors and styles
Cons Of Quartz Countertops
- Little Expensive
- Gets damaged by excessive heat
- Options of sinks are limited
Solid Surface Kitchen Countertops
As the name says Solid Surface kitchen countertops are solid. These countertops can be customized according to the requirement. And the good part is that the scratches can be sanded out in no time.
Pros Of Solid Surface Countertops
- Quite a durable Smoother surface
- The kitchen sink can be seamlessly integrated
- Stains or scratches can be easily sanded off
- Available in various patterns and colors
Cons Of Solid Surface Countertops
- Easily damaged by heat
- Gets scratched and dents quickly
Ceramic Tile Kitchen Countertops
Although most homeowners prefer ceramic tiles for flooring only, these can be an affordable and durable option for kitchen countertops. Ceramic tile is durable and easy to clean. Additionally, it is an inexpensive option, and you’ve got a really good choice for countertops.
Pros of Ceramic Tile Countertops
- Inexpensive countertop option
- Impermeable to water and heat
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Available in a wide range of colors, designs, and textures
Cons Of Ceramic Tile Countertops
- The counter surface can be uneven
- Tend to chip or crack easily
- Grout lines become stained
- Custom-designed tiles are a little expensive.
Laminate Kitchen Countertops
Laminate Counters are made of plastic-coated synthetic material, which has a smoother surface. If you do not have the budget for the natural stone countertop but want to have a luxurious look for your kitchen, then this is a perfect option for you. Laminate countertops will undoubtedly give a stylish look to your kitchen.
Pros Of Laminate Countertops
- Requires less time to get installed
- A wide variety of laminates are available
- Maintaining Laminate countertops is an effortless task
- Saves you 2/3 rd of the cost as compared to the natural stone countertops
Cons of Laminate Countertops
- Scratches and chips are almost impossible to repair
- Seams of the laminates are visible
- High-End finishing can be pricey.
- Does not add resale value to the house
Butcher Block Kitchen Countertops
Butcher-block countertops are made up of assembled wooden boards or planks. Hardwoods like maple and oak are mostly used to make these countertops. It adds a warmer and more inviting look to your kitchen. And this is why it never goes out of style. This countertop material is directly taken from nature, and thus butcher-block is entirely biodegradable as well as eco-friendly.
Pros Of Butcher Block Countertops
- Easier on knives hence cutting chopping can be directly done.
- Stains and scratches can be easily removed by sanding it off.
- Fits well in all the home décor styles
- Adds a warm earthy tone to the kitchen
- Makes kitchen noise-proof
Cons Of Butcher Block Countertops
- Gets damaged by water and other stains with time
- Requires proper sealing periodically
Stainless Steel Kitchen Countertops
Stainless steel countertops were mostly seen in restaurants as well as professional kitchens. Still, in recent times with the material becoming a part of our homes, they are finding ways into our kitchens too. Stainless steel countertops are increasingly replacing marble, granite, and wood countertops because of their industrial look and other immense benefits.
Pros of Stainless Steel Countertops
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Can be customized
- Heat Resistant
- Lasts for the lifetime
- Seamless Countertop
- Fully recyclable
Cons Of Stainless Steel Countertops
- Makes Noise
- Fabrication can get expensive
- May dent easily
- Cutting can not be done
Soapstone Kitchen Countertops
If you like the dark color of the granite and the light color of marble, too, then soapstone kitchen countertops are just for you. Soapstone generally comes in a dark grayish–greenish–blackish tone. It has a smooth feel. As far as the price is concerned, it is available at the cost of high-end granite but cheaper than marble countertops. It is often seen in older homes but is now also used in modern homes for kitchen countertops and sink material.
Pros of Soapstone Countertops
- Rich, deep color
- Smooth texture
- Sealing is not required
- Resistant to stains to some extent
- Somewhat stain resistant.
Cons Of Soapstone Countertops
- Requires applications of mineral oil periodically for a darker color
- Tend to crack over time
. Marble Kitchen Countertops
Marble has its beauty, and this is the reason why we tend to get attracted to marble. However, the exceptionally high price range of the sculpture limits its uses as the countertop material for the whole kitchen. To get the luxurious look, you can use it on the kitchen island, or at your baking station. These countertops require little maintenance as they tend to get stained easily. Luckily in recent times, new sealers are available in the market, which will retard sealing to some extent.
Pros Of Marble Countertops
- Heat Resistant
- Makes the kitchen look luxurious
Cons Of Marble Countertops
- Quite Expensive
- Porous in nature
- Stains easily and hence require periodically sealed by professionals.
- Tend to scratch easily
Concrete Kitchen Countertops
If you want an industrial yet little rustic look in your kitchen, then you must have concrete kitchen countertops. These countertops can be customized according to the shape and size of the countertops. The price of having these countertops made depends on whether you will have them made professionally or do it yourself.
Pros Of Concrete Countertops
- Resistant to heat and scratch
- Can be tinted with your favorite color
- Has a unique appearance
Cons Of Concrete Countertops
- Tend to crack; however, new treatments prevent it
- Porous in nature, but additives can reduce the porosity
- Requires proper sealing
Countertops are excellent additions to your kitchen. It can enhance the look of your kitchen along with adding to the market value of your house. The countertop material that you choose plays a significant part in the ambiance of your kitchen, so you need to choose wisely and select the one that perfectly fits your expectations as well as your budget.
HCD DREAM Interior Solutions, an interior designing service provider in Bangalore, will surely help you out in making the right decision. So get in touch right away!